Emerging in September 2012 Sonnet 43 was the result of a £200,000 investment by Mark Hird, the owner of a number of independent eateries in the North East and managing director of hospitality firm Tavistock Leisure, into the Kicking Cuddy in Coxhoe, County Durham.
The 10-barrel (360 gallon capacity) microbrewery was seen as part of a wider transformation of the inn into a traditional brew pub, which will ultimately be known as the Sonnet 43 Brew House, Tasting Room and Restaurant, and which will serve craft beers as well as a variety of classical British cuisine, created with a modern twist and using locally-sourced produce.
“Sonnet 43 Brew House is a new micro-brewery producing craft beer that is all taste and heart,” Sonnet 43’s marketing and business development co-ordinator Grace Noon told Canny Brew.
“And located in North-East England at Coxhoe, Co. Durham, we have taken our modern brewing philosophy and strong brand identity and fused this with local culture and history.
“The 10 barrel plant uses only the best sourced ingredients with traditional brewing methods to produce remarkable, high-quality cask beers that deliver a real taste experience to be savoured and enjoyed.”
The name of the brewery is a reference to one of the most famous works of Victorian poet Elizabeth Barratt Browning, who was born and raised at nearby Coxhoe Hall.
The company offers a range of four beers, which are available in nine gallon firkins.
- Steam Beer – 3.8% ABV – A session beer. Maris Otter pale malt, Northdown hops. A very refreshing, medium bodied, slightly bitter drink.
- Blonde – 4.1% ABV – A golden-straw coloured wheat-style beer. Created with Sonnet hops to give a sweet, delicate, floral aroma.
- Bourbon Milk Stout – 4.3% ABV – Brewed using bourbon, cocoa and oats to give this dark beer a rich, full-bodied, chocolaty bitterness.
- India Pale Ale – 4.4% ABV – Complex hoppy aroma, Goldings hops. Delicate fruity flavours. Hugely drinkable.
- Brown Ale – 4.7% ABV – Mild and fruity with malty and toffee flavours, a pleasantly light bitterness.
- American Pale Ale – 5.4% ABV – A complex aroma using Cascade, Simcoe, Centennial and Mount Hood hops with a malty, spiced fruit flavour.
Address: Sonnet 43 Brew House, Durham Road, Coxhoe, County Durham, DH6 4HX.
Telephone: 0191 377 3039