About the brewery
The Big Lamp Brewery has been in existence since 1982 and is the oldest micro brewery in the North East. It started off as a hobby and originally occupied a building in the West End of Newcastle City Centre, near the site where the Big Lamp was located, hence the name.
Over the years it has slowly become a thriving and successful business. Its first brew was the ever popular Big Lamp Bitter in 1982 which was brewed for The Red House pun on the Quayside. The original shareholders were Norman Bell, John Tomlinson, Terry Hanson, Tom Hanson and Paul Needham (for a short time). Initially they brewed about 10 barrels per week, usually over the weekend since everybody had full time jobs.
In 1996 the brewery moved to a renovated Grade II listed Victorian water pumping station in pleasant surroundings by the river Tyne.
Address: Big Lamp Brewery & Keelman’s Lodge, Grange Road, Newburn, Tyne & Wear. NE15 8NL
Telephone: 0191 267 1689 or 0191 267 7766